The following Information Sheets have been developed by Whāraurau and provide detailed and helpful information about a range of common mental health issues including information about what treatment might entail.
Working with Whānau | Families
The following resources can be used with parents, family and whānau. This page includes written information sheets, videos and useful website links to assist those that are wanting to support young people with their wellbeing.
Mental health info sheets
Parenting info on behavioural issues
CADS Youth Service has developed the information sheets below to help parents negotiate some of the challenges of parenting young people with AOD and behavioural issues. You may find them helpful when discussing these things with families.
Parenting advice and strategies
Below is an excellent website provided by the Australian National Mental Health Research Council (NMHRC), that alcohol and drug clinicians recommend to parents. You could review and discuss them with parents in a session.
NZ Drug Foundation: Did you know? series
This series of short videos and tools is provided by the NZ Drug Foundation. These resources are designed to make it easier to have a discussion with young people around their alcohol and drug use and include videos, infographics and conversation planner.
Problematic Gaming Resources
- Net addiction NZ: This website aims to provide information to people interested in understanding problematic use of gaming and gaming addictions in New Zealand. There is a section for family and friends.
- Families Managing Media: has some useful articles and advice for parents on managing many forms of digital media including gaming.
- OLGANON: Help for parents forum has stories and advice from other parents who have struggled with children overusing video games and can be a helpful place to find information and support.
CEP Information for families
- Alcohol.org.nz has tips and information for people who are worried about whether they, or their friends, are drinking too much.
- Kina Families and Addiction Trust
Helping Families understand the impact of addiction. Provides information, support and advice for family/whānau being affected by addiction.
- Mental Health Foundation of New Zealand
has comprehensive information about a wide range of mental health conditions.
- 20 Minute Guide: Parental guidance about how to help your child who is using substances or engaging in other risky behaviours.
- Parenting Strategies provides ideas/strategies for parents to help deal with or protect their children or teenagers from alcohol misuse, as well as depression and anxiety.
Family/Whānau services and support
The following websites are good sources of information and support for New Zealand families and whānau living with mental health, addiction and other issues.
- ADHD Association Information for families, young people and adults with Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder, including how to access locally available resources and services.
- Family Services Directory lists information about family support organisations and the services/programmes they offer to support New Zealand families to cope with common issues and problems.
- Grandparents raising grandchildren Trust provides support for grandparents/kin who are raising grandchildren/whānau children in difficult circumstances.
- Parentline works with children who have been traumatised by abuse and domestic violence. They also provide advice and support to parents and caregivers and counselling for children who display challenging behaviour in the classroom and playground.
- Parent and Family Resource Centre supports parents and families of children and young people with disability.
- Parent to Parent NZ Inc provides support for parents of children with special needs.
- Real: Because it's your life a New Zealand youth service developed for youth, with youth. It also provides support to family and whānau. This website is just one of the ways Real offers support to young people to build resilience, confidence and wellbeing.
Under Construction Series
“Under Construction: Alcohol and the teenage brain” produced by Professor Dan Lubman is a highly acclaimed four minute animation that discusses adolescent brain development and highlights the effects of alcohol and risky drinking on different brain regions, as well as its impact on behaviour.
“Under Construction: Cannabis and the teenage brain” produced by Professor Dan Lubman is a short animated video about the effects of cannabis on the brain. Brain development, adolescence and short and long-term effects of cannabis are explained in simple language.